Wednesday 28 April 2021

Michael Lithgow : part five

What are you working on?

My second collection of poetry, Who We Thought We Were As We Fell, is coming out this spring (Cormorant Books, 2021), so that’s exciting. Most of my creative energy for the past little while – in addition to completing this collection – has gone into longform fiction, a novel; such a difficult process, but it does continue to grow and find itself. The story is about disparate, broken people trying to overcome limitations - being forced to, really, or invited to by the circumstances of their lives – individually at first, and then with the possibility of collectivity, and in the face of the kinds of indifference to suffering that algorithmic cultures seem to propagate. I have also started working with visual artists on different projects – on an illustrated version of one of my short stories, and on a kids alphabet book, which is fun and whimsical. It’s my first foray into the world of combining my writing with visual expression, both exciting and challenging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment