Wednesday 14 April 2021

Kelly Weber : part two

When you require renewal, is there a particular poem or book that you return to? A particular author?

When I need renewal, I go back to my favorite books that remind me why I love writing: Joy Harjo’s She Had Some Horses, Maggie Nelson’s Bluets, Ocean Vuong’s Night Sky with Exit Wounds, Ross Gay’s The Catalogue of Unabashed Gratitude. I also try to attend readings or connect with friends in the community to kind of re-connect to my body in writing. When I feel at a low ebb, I think I find myself returning to works of writing and advice from friends and mentors that give me permission to be most honest in the poems. Not just remembering the magic of words, but remembering to link back to my body/heart/gut first and foremost, and feeling that in a community. Anything that helps the discovery feel fresh and wild again.

No comments:

Post a Comment