Saturday 10 April 2021

makalani bandele : part three

How does a poem begin?

In every possible way imaginable. The inspiration for a poem can come from some detail I catch in nature or a social setting. It can come from something I am reading, or a frame from movie I am watching. A poem can begin from an old note or phrase I wrote down that I discover going over my notes. A poem may find its generation in conversation I overhear or the inspiration to write a poem in a form I haven’t tried or don’t feel I have enough practice in. I see sitting down to just write when I don’t have a specific poem idea as an exercise that doesn’t always produce a finished poem, but inevitably parts and pieces of future poems. I feel like I am always writing poems, I am just at various stages in the “completion” of poems.


No comments:

Post a Comment