Saturday 24 April 2021

Jackie McManus : part four

When you require renewal, is there a particular poem or book that you return to? A particular author? 

I am not a believer in writer’s block. There may be blocks but writing is a path to unblock. So when I need renewal, I go to words. I read anything. Poetry, a nonfiction book, the newspaper, it doesn’t matter. I just get words in front of me and it invariably happens that I will fall in love with some of the words, so I’ll have to get out my Word Journal and jot them down, and often that is the beginning of a phrase, an entry into what may become a poem. I am not organized, though! I recall Ellen Bass admitting her messiness, and I can relate: that’s me! There isn’t one book or thing I return to. I dabble. I’m a dabbler. But I do make sure the author’s work I am reading is someone who is an excellent poet or writer, someone better so I can work on being better.

No comments:

Post a Comment