Tuesday 4 May 2021

Lauren Bender : part five

What are you working on?

As of late, I’m mostly editing and submitting existing pieces. That also includes working to construct a chapbook of poems that focus on appearance, clothing, and fashion, and the way those intersect with personality development and mental health. When I use the word fashion, I mean in the broad sense, because I am definitely not a person who is “fashionable” or in touch with what is “in fashion” at any time. But I am very drawn to certain styles and to the idea of using clothing as a form of speech; I think everyone does that, to an extent, but perhaps more so those who are introverted or socially anxious and struggle with directly speaking to others. There are so many ways clothing can send clear, loud messages about what you want, need, like, and/or feel. I really got into this about a year ago after reading Women in Clothes by Sheila Heti, Heidi Julavits, and Leanne Shapton. That book was a pleasant surprise, as I was expecting it to be a light, casual read, but it ended up truly fascinating me and generating a ton of poetic inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment