Thursday 13 May 2021

Jacalyn den Haan : part two

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

I first got into poetry because I figured that short = easy & quick to write. My first real commitment to poetry was in my first year of university. I wanted to write every day to improve my craft, but I wanted to take the path of least resistance. So I made the arbitrary goal of writing a poem every day for a year. Figured I could pound out a decent poem in about ten to twenty minutes. 

During my undergrad, I was a big proponent of never reading. I had this whole theory that the only way to become a good poet was to have a lot of life experiences, so I’d read the first seven lines of the poems in my assigned readings and then head to the bar. 

I’m still a young little shit, but I’ve developed somewhat of a respect for the art of poetry since the beginning of the pandemic. There are no bars to go to anymore. I have hours of uninterrupted time to spend in front of a book of poetry. It doesn’t bother me so much anymore to have to reread a poem to really get it. In fact, I almost enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment