Sunday 23 May 2021

Jessica Barksdale Inclán : part one

Jessica Barksdale Inclán is the author of fifteen novels, including the award-winning The Burning Hour as well as Her Daughter's Eyes, The Matter of Grace, and When You Believe. Her debut poetry collection, When We Almost Drowned, was published by Finishing Line Press in March 2019. Her second poetry book, Grim Honey, was published on April 1, 2021. Barksdale Inclán’s short stories, poems, and essays have appeared in or are forthcoming in the Waccamaw Journal, Salt Hill Journal, Tahoma Review, and So to Speak. Her work has also been recognized and honored by The Sewanee Review, The Wigleaf, The North American Review, and The Ocotillo Review. A Pushcart Prize, Million Writers Award, and Best-of-the-Net nominee, Barksdale Inclán was an English professor at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, California, for thirty-one years, and continues to teach novel writing for UCLA Extension and the MFA program for Southern New Hampshire University. She holds an MA in English Literature from San Francisco State University and an MFA from the Rainier Writers Workshop at Pacific Lutheran University. Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, she now lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband.

What are you working on?

Currently I’m writing a poem a day with Two Sylvias Press for National Poetry Month. I love prompts. They take me completely out of my stomping grounds and force me to be original (at least to myself).

In prose, I’m writing a novel that I’ve been meaning to write for decades, but one I could not have written if I hadn’t written a failed novel (for five years!), one that only scratched the surface of the main story I’m writing now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment