Wednesday 12 May 2021

Anna Press : part two

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry?

Knowing the parameters of a poem: what belongs, where it ends, what exists on the periphery that I would like the reader to think about, or what I would like to conceal. The line between the poet and the poem, perhaps. I also find it difficult, while also inviting to find new ways of saying what I want to say. There are words and phrases I like a lot and return to, and I’m a little afraid of inadvertently plagiarizing myself. It also makes me feel limited, or stuck, when that happens. I start to worry: am I just telling the same stories again and again? Do I have nothing new to say? Have I said this the best way I can, and yet, I’m still snagged on it? 

I also struggle with strict forms… so I rarely attempt them. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment