Saturday 22 May 2021

Cora Siré : part four

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

I generally alternate between classics and contemporary. I’m currently reading a new translation (from the Russian by Antony Wood) of Pushkin’s poetry. Pushkin was 37 when he died of a gunshot wound inflicted during a duel, yet he left behind an astonishing number of poems. But my greatest thrill is reading the poets in our community. I marvel at their ingenuity. I’m thinking of Greg Santos, for example, and his latest poetry collection, Ghost Face. Also, Klara du Plessis, author of Hell Light Flesh. Everyone interested in Canadian poetry should read their books. Another poet who inspires me is Gloria Macher. We recently co-wrote and directed I Want More Life to Love! a short film featuring our poems about another pandemic – femicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment