Saturday 26 June 2021

Andrew McSorley : part five

Why is poetry important?

For me, it’s important because there’s nothing else I know how to do that I can give to the world. I always wanted to draw or to paint, but those weren’t skills I had naturally, and I had difficulty finding ways to cultivate them when I was younger. So, at some point I started to write. It’s a way for me to give back something beautiful to the world (I hope) and rename and recapture things and stories that I need to tell. For others, it’s a mode of expression that doesn’t exist in anything else. Poetry can be an act of resistance, an act of decolonization. It’s something beautiful, yes, but it’s ultimately powerful, and that’s why we need to see it thrive, and put poetry in the hands and mouths of as many people as can hold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment