Thursday 3 June 2021

Alex C. Eisenberg : part one

Alex C. Eisenberg is a child of the western high desert and the pacific northwest rainforest, with ancestral ties to Eastern Europe. Her soul is rooted in these wonderful landscapes and her writing springs forth from that connection. Alex currently lives by candlelight with her partner, their 5 cats, and an ever-changing number of chickens in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains. To read more of her work, follow @alexceisenberg on Twitter or visit alexandriaceisenberg.wordpress.com

Why is poetry important?

Poetry stirs the heart. I devoutly believe we need to reconnect to our hearts, over and over again, in order to even begin addressing most of the problems we face as a species, from the personal to the existential. Conveniently, a poem can ring both personal and existential bells in the same stanza so I think poetry is a perfect ally in the work ahead.

As one of my benefits for my patrons, I write typewritten custom poems where they can tell me about something that is moving and important to them and I will write them a poem in reflection of what they shared. So many of these pieces have moved people to tears. They’ve expressed feeling seen and like their story was valued in a new way. I think poetry, or any sort of sustained attention, has the capacity to mirror things back to people – sometimes things they didn’t even know they felt – and help them feel it more fully. When we feel fully, and especially when we are met, held, lovingly witnessed in that feeling, that opens so many doors to the heart. It increases the possibility of compassion, forgiveness, understanding. It helps us remember and realign our lives with our deeper truths. Poetry can and so often does facilitate this. That’s what I’ve witnessed, and part of what I hope to achieve with my writing. I want to reach the center of people’s hearts as often as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment