Monday 28 February 2022

Simon Brown : part three

What poetry books have you been reading lately?

So many… new and old, good and bad, haha. But mostly very good! One of the books I’ve been really appreciating in the past few weeks is Black Dog Songs (Flood Editions, 2003), an older collection (which I somehow hadn’t read yet) from one of my favourite poets, Lisa Jarnot. It’s a mix of repetitive/collage-y prose pieces, and other short versified poems, almost like nursery rhymes. Very simple, yet containing whole huge dreamworlds within. I’ve also been reading the amazing new collection by Maude Pilon, Blanche Reboot (Éditions Omri, 2022), where she reworks poems by early 20th-century regionalist poet Blanche Lamontagne, transforming odes to the fields and streams of the Gaspé into what you might describe as lyrical hallucinations: sometimes funny, sometimes touching, always strange and beautiful. I’ve also been reading a couple of random missals and prayer books I recently found in the garbage. Oldies but goodies, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment