Friday 11 February 2022

Matt Robinson : part three

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

Over the course of the pandemic I have slightly shifted my reading patterns, it turns out. I always read a fair bit of both poetry and fiction, with the odd bit of non-fiction peppered in. Fiction-wise, I read a TONNE of short fiction. I love short story collections. That said, from the onset of the pandemic, I have been reading poetry overwhelmingly. Almost entirely. I suspect that might be related to the fact that I am also doing a fair bit of non-literary reading about all things COVID, etc., but my “pleasure” reading has become almost entirely poetry collections. 

In terms of specifics: I’ve been plowing through Ada Limon, Jericho Brown, Natalie Shapero, Bob Hicok collections in terms of American poetry. 

I’ve also re-read one of my favourite collections of all time a couple times recently: John Thompson’s At The Edge Of The Chopping There Are No Secrets

And in terms of Canadian poetry I’ve basically read everything Gaspereau Press has put out in the last few years. Particular Canadian poets I’ve been reading lately include Annick MacAskill, Virginia Konchan, Chris Banks, Jacob Lee Bachinger, Rebecca Salazar, and Triny Finlay. Right now, I have Canisia Lubrin’s latest collection and Robert Bly’s Collected Poems on the go. I have forthcoming rob mclennan and Jim Johnstone collections pre-ordered. I am always looking for recommendations. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment