Monday 14 February 2022

Simon Brown : part one

Simon Brown (he/they) is a self-taught poet and translator from the traditional territory of the Peskotomuhkati Nation, in southwestern New Brunswick, now based in Wendat and Abenaki traditional territory, in the Quebec City area. His poems have been presented in interdisciplinary artworks and collaborative performances, and in journals such as Lemon Hound, Vallum, Mœbius, Estuaire, and the Fiddlehead. Simon’s latest chapbook, oh the iffy night, was published by above/ground press in fall 2021. simonbrown.ca

Photo credit (pictured with La Mouche): Mimi Lebuffe

How did you first engage with poetry?

That’s a good question… there wasn’t much around when I was a kid. I only recall one book of poetry in the house, it was called “The Absolute Best Poems of All Time”, or something like that, probably published in the 50s or early 60s. Of the poems in it, I only remember Because I could not stop for Death —, which I loved. In rural New Brunswick schools, poetry was never mentioned (Ministry of Education policy?), except once by my grade 3 teacher. She was obviously a fairly unhappy person, and was usually quite mean to everyone. The only time I ever recall her being excited, or even remotely happy, was during an apparently impromptu lecture (or sermon?) on poetry where she proclaimed, “anything you want can be a poem!”, and wrote the words FUDGECICLE STICK IN THE MUD on the blackboard. Despite my terrible memory, these words have remained with me ever since, and for this I do feel grateful towards her.

No comments:

Post a Comment