Wednesday 9 February 2022

Maureen O'Leary : part three

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry?

It’s difficult to be faced with the strength of my own feelings sometimes. There are poems I’ve written that I cannot read aloud without weeping and it’s not because they are sad necessarily. We go through our days at work and in the world with filters on. We can’t walk around with our clearest, most distilled emotions in our awareness all of the time. We would go mad. We would annoy people. After I have revised and polished a poem to angle the light in just the truest way, however, that piece can be difficult for me to face. It can be painful for me to read aloud. There are poems of mine coming out in various publications this year that are pretty funny but I can’t read them without getting upset because they are exploring feelings that are really intense for me. That’s the difficult thing about writing poetry. It would be easier to go through life ignoring these intense feelings and thoughts, but poetry forces you to look into the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment