Saturday 18 December 2021

Paolo Bicchieri : part two

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry?

I think writing holds a unique place in folks’ minds that writing and being a writer is cool and somehow worth more than other crafts or hobbies. Since that feels true to me, I’ve felt that the most difficult thing about writing poetry is finding out why one is writing it and for whom? The focus is so often on the product but not the process. As a white person I have asked myself a lot why I write poetry, for what audience, and what space that takes up or creates. Loads of people putting out poems aren’t curious about what stereotypes they might perpetuate, what topics they are ignoring, and what poetry community we do and don’t create by remaining ignorant to our intentions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment