Thursday 9 December 2021

Jessica Anne Robinson : part two

What are you working on?

I’m putting the finishing touches on my debut chapbook, OTHER MOTHERS’ FUNERALS, forthcoming with Frog Hollow Press in the next couple months. It is terribly exciting to have this collection out in the world – it’s about grief in all these different forms.

I’m also slowly plugging away at a concept for a second chapbook manuscript, which picks up more intentionally on an unconscious theme of the first book: dreams. For the most part, my manuscripts are pieced together from the individual poems that I’ve been writing for the last few years; I take a arrange them to tell the story that I discover threading through them after the fact. I wish I could develop a manuscript concept and then write to it, but that doesn’t seem to be the way my creativity flows. The closest I’ve gotten to that process for this collection is identifying the presence of dreams and dreaming in my regular writing, and making a conscious decision to write down and consider my actual dreams as I, well, dream up new poems.

And, I am in the very, very early stages of a collaborative, cross-medium project with a dear friend and painter, that likely won’t see the light of day until 2023 – but it will be worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment