Thursday 9 December 2021

Douglas Cole : part four

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

I’ve been reading Charles Simic’s new collection Come Closer and Listen. I love his surreal pieces. I like the strangeness of his poem, like you’re in a dream. I also enjoy the humor. He’s been a model for the prose poem, too. I’ve been reading Tess Gallagher’s Dear Ghosts. I very much admire the way she creates the poem on the page, the line breaks. And I love the way she re-orients the point of view in some poems so that you’re seeing something in one way; then, she shifts it so that that same thing becomes something else. It’s really quite beautiful. And I’ve been reading Joy Harjo’s new collection An American Sunrise. I think she’s masterful at blending the natural and the spiritual and the political, and she comes to the music in her language honestly being a saxophone player. 

No comments:

Post a Comment