Saturday 25 September 2021

J. D. Nelson : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

My earliest introduction to poetry was listening to my parents read nursery rhymes, the books of Dr. Seuss, and Edward Lear’s “The Quangle Wangle’s Hat” to me when I was very young. In 1976, when I was five years old, my parents gave me a subscription to Highlights for Children magazine, and one to Cricket magazine when I was six. I read more poetry in these publications. Around this time, I was experimenting with my parents’ typewriter, and I showed my dad something that I had created. He said that it reminded him of the poetry of e e cummings. He told me about cummings’ work, and he was the first major poet I was introduced to. I started writing poetry and little stories in second grade.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44604/the-quangle-wangles-hat

No comments:

Post a Comment