Sunday 26 September 2021

Alyse Bensel : part five

Why is poetry important?

I don’t know if there is a singular answer to this question, but I do know that the importance of poetry in my life has shifted and continues to shift. Initially, poetry offered me new skills and knowledge to learn in a world that I did not previously know existed. Now poetry is more of a comfort and an exploration, a conversation -- I don’t think that I read a single poetry collection where at least one line or poem doesn’t strike me, doesn’t resonate in some way. Poetry makes me want to return to poetry. It’s recursive, looping back to itself. I find it essential that there exists in my life a pursuit that asks me to both turn back to the source and branch out into the world. Poetry has this ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment