Sunday 12 September 2021

Alyse Bensel : part three

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

The way a poem enters the world keeps on changing for me, but generally it starts as a fragment or series of fragments in a notebook, then a rough digital draft that I will ask a friend to read, or, if a friend is busy, I will return to in a few days or weeks. By that time I’m far enough away from the initial drafting of the poem that I can begin to notice things that I haven’t before, to ask questions of the poem. I will keep drafting and redrafting and perhaps reshare again, usually with my husband who will read the poem aloud, which is a wonderful gift, being able to hear the poem in someone else’s voice than my own. I often find that speaking the poem aloud is when it truly enters the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment