Saturday 13 March 2021

Stephen Jackson : part four

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

For me, as I’m sure it must be for many, it’s been a rather lonely process. I’d written poetry for decades before my first attempt at publication, which was in 2017. I had no one to take a look at my work or offer me feedback. I just read through a lot of magazines until I found one I liked, searched through my work to find something the magazine might like, and then sent off four poems. To my surprise they accepted one, and then to my astonishment, later nominated it for a Pushcart Prize. I had a handful of other poems published that first year and then took a little break, as submitting can be time consuming. I began a regular submission schedule in 2019 and currently send out about two or three per week. I have a slightly better idea of what I’m doing now, as I search for magazines that might be a fit for the poems I myself would like to see published.

No comments:

Post a Comment