Saturday 20 March 2021

Stephen Jackson : part five

What are you working on?

In January of 2020 I began work on a new project, writing a series of constrained poems late in the evening while listening to music: mostly jazz, ambient, avant-garde. This is unusual for me, as I normally write in the morning, in complete silence. With nearly 150 of these pieces, I’m currently in the process of selecting 20-25 for a chapbook. While the form is constrained, the subject matter is not, as I tend to let the music guide my thoughts. I may end up writing a handful of pieces to give it more connective tissue. Other than that, I’m writing every day, working on revisions of recent poems (three months out) while constantly tweaking older ones, putting together submissions, categorizing poems for other chapbooks, and always, always reading. There’s no end to the work that needs to be done. And I’m grateful for the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment