Sunday 28 April 2019

Lucas Lejeune : part three

How does a poem begin?

As a post-conceptual writer, I almost never write from scratch. Most of my poems start from one or multiple source texts I find online. Usually neutral or collective content. Some poem however, begin with an idea. I will then look for the appropriate source text. I then edit the raw material using mathematical protocols and constraints, as well as basic operations such as permutation or juxtaposition. The degree of editing I put in the poem usually depends on my state of mind. Sometimes, I might just copy and paste, adding maybe a linebreak or two, letting the original text convey it's information and raw musicality. Some other times, I might turn a raw list of data into long and complex sentences having little resemblance to their original source.

No comments:

Post a Comment