Sunday 7 April 2019

Amanda Stovicek : part four

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

Most of my poetry is frantic when I first write. Anything I write in a notebook, a line or a word, usually is translated into something else when I go to type it up. I find that writing out my words doesn’t feel as complete or productive other than for first drafts. I know this is probably a unique outlook in terms of poetry, as a notebook is a writer’s best friend. But when I start to type my work and I see the words in black and white, in the right font (Garamond!), and the lines and breaks are crisp, the poem really begins.

I have a small writer’s group and we exchange prompts every month or so. Right now they consist of five randomly generated words that we must incorporate into a poem and title. We don’t really critique each other's work, but the act of sharing and the deadline we give ourselves helps the creative process tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment