Friday 12 April 2019

gc cohen : part five

What do you feel poetry can accomplish that other forms can’t?

Poetry always feels so raw and emotional to me – in a way that no other form of writing does. It allows me to contemplate tough subjects or emotions in a succinct, short manner. I appreciate that with poetry, I can say so much with so little. That’s just something I’ve never been able to successfully pull off with other forms.

Poetry also continues to teach me vulnerability in the absolute best way. There’s this quote by David Mitchell that goes, “If you show someone something you’ve written, you give them a sharpened stake, lie down in your coffin, and say, ‘When you’re ready.’” That’s what writing poetry accomplishes (for me) that I don’t experience with any other genre of writing. It keeps me vulnerable. It forces me to keep putting myself out there. It keeps me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment