Thursday 31 January 2019

Sarah Rosenthal : part five

What do you feel that poetry can accomplish that other forms can’t?

I turn to poetry to be led by a different logic than the kind that produces a lot of the algorithms that increasingly dictate our behavior. Poetic logic derives from what the body knows, what arrives through the senses and heart as well as the brain. At a formative period I encountered the poetics of silence and I will pledge allegiance to that flag forever, and more and more, as the noise continues to amplify in a seemingly deliberate attempt to drown out wisdom and kindness.

I am finding that over time, doing art is less about trying to get something and more about wanting to make and to participate. Letting the ego sit quietly on the shelf for longer periods is a huge relief and actually leads to much greater productivity and happiness. I am grateful to all the friends who help me constantly recommit to a poethical (to quote Retallack) path.

No comments:

Post a Comment