Saturday 3 September 2022

Michael Blouin : part four

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry?

There is nothing difficult about writing poetry. Being an emergency room nurse is difficult… a Walmart cashier, an astronaut, a roofer, a teacher, a server, a frontline mental health worker… these are difficult things to do for a variety of reasons. As a poet my role is to experience my life and once in a while write down some thoughts that may occur to me regarding it and then to try and assemble them into something cohesive. I often do this while seated in a comfortable chair with a cup of coffee. A paramedic – that is a difficult job. Even within the wider discipline of writing I don’t find poetry difficult, not to the same degree that I find weaving a four hundred page novel together difficult for example, but perhaps this is a part of why I don’t tend to consider myself to truly be a poet. There is that quote that a writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for others though, and I think that is true. None of this is to say that the crafting of poetry is not terribly important work mind you, it is very definitely that.

No comments:

Post a Comment