Thursday 22 September 2022

Jenna Jarvis : part one

Jenna Jarvis has appeared in These Days (Horsebroke Press) and deathcap (Coven Editions). She has published three chapbooks: year of pulses (above/ground, 2018), The Tiger With the Crooked Mouth (Bywords, 2013), and Juvenilia (In/Words, 2010). Her poem “syndical not synecdochal” won an honourable mention for the 2014 Thomas Morton Prize, and her poem “untoward” won the 2012 John Newlove Award. She completed her MA in English literature at Carleton University in Odawa/Ottawa.

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

I’m a reactionary! I’m very responsive! I’m being pointlessly provocative! The point is that I’m driven to write for live readings and calls for submissions. Extrinsic motivation (or optimistic opportunism?) leads me to develop headspace-squatting phrases into full-length poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment