Thursday 29 September 2022

Jenna Jarvis : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

My extrinsic motivation is a decade-old vestige of belonging to In/Words’ writers circle and reading series – and, eventually, its editorial board – throughout my undergraduate degree at Carleton University. I meant to get involved in projects as an undergrad because ‘being involved’ is the mark of a dedicated and talented student in any discipline. The co-curricular record told me so. Secondary school guidance counsellors told me so. My writing work is adolescence protracted. My ‘real world’ is a protracted version of university. Maybe ‘town and gown’ is an irrelevant distinction. Maybe ‘literary indistinction’ is the default setting. The campus pub turned into a 7-Eleven in Taiwan. The 7-Eleven turned into a summertime backyard barbecue outside of Ottawa’s 9-to-5.


No comments:

Post a Comment