Tuesday 27 September 2022

Jared Povanda : part five

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

100%! By reading other poets, I find my own poetry rushing to catch up to the brilliance around me. I never considered myself a poet. I started with fiction, then nonfiction, and I didn’t begin seriously writing poetry until last year. Slowly, I’ve begun to convince myself that I’m not a complete hack, and that poetry isn’t some incomprehensible world of strange rules and line breaks. I can tell a story in poetry, too, and once I made that realization, I stopped letting my fear of failure get in the way of my writing. I oscillate heavily between confidence and self-doubt, though, so ask me this in another year, and I might say that poetry is as dense and thorny as it was before I started writing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment