Saturday 5 March 2022

River Elizabeth Hall : part three

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you  work ideas and poems with?

Other writers are absolutely essential to my practice. My work enters the world in two ways: either on my own in my regular writing practice or in dedicated writing groups. Nearly all of the pieces I generate alone, will be critiqued by other writers at some point down the line. 

Since I was a teen, I have participated fairly regularly in Amherst Writers and Artists writing groups (www.AmherstWriters.org). The AWA method was created by an extraordinary teacher and writer named Pat Schneider. These writing groups are focused on generative prompts and positive feedback.

At the moment, I participate in two different AWA style groups. One is through the New York Writers Coalition (www.nywriterscoalition.org) and the other is led by Nicole Zimmerman (www.nicolerzimmerman.com). In 2020, I became a trained AWA workshop leader and I now lead two groups of writers through my organization, Seattle Writers Circle. More about my groups can be found on my website RiverElizabethHall.com .

On top of these groups, I am also in the second year of a poetry tutorial with my mentor Jeanine Walker. Myself and three other poets have been working together closely for the last year and half. We workshop and discuss our poems on a weekly basis, read and discuss craft essays, and all four of us are working together to assemble our full-length collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment