Friday 4 March 2022

Matt Robinson : coda

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers’ group that you work ideas and poems with?

I don’t have a particular writing group or community that I am regularly connected with in a tangible way at present. The last time I had that was likely back when I was doing grad work at UNB and I was immersed in that program and the writers and poets who were there.

Now, I mostly write and read and edit in a more solitary, arms-length manner. BUT there are a few key folks I share drafts with when they reach a certain point. My wife or one particular poet I know are usually the “first readers” of drafts when they hit a certain point. Other than that, Andrew Steeves at Gaspereau Press, which whom I have done an annual poetry broadside for years and years is most likely to see things first. 

Mostly, though, I get to a point where I start sending poems out to journals for potential publication. So: I guess Submittable is often the way my work first enters the world. My dog and cat also listen to me grousing over poems at times, and certainly listen to me recording them to review how they sound. And they seem generally supportive, but their feedback is pretty hard to parse, most times.

No comments:

Post a Comment