Thursday 3 March 2022

Kenneth M Cale : part three

How important is music to your poetry?

Very. I love music and listen to all sorts of stuff. It inspires a lot of ideas and language for my writing. As for my work specifically, I think it’s musical in a different way to a lot of poetry. Just as most songs have two elements, music and lyrics, my work also has two elements, collage and text. I try to play around with the dynamic between these elements the way a songwriter might. Sometimes the collages and texts complement each other; sometimes there’s a tension or dissonance between them, just like in a lot of songs, where maybe the music is upbeat, but the lyrics contradict or complicate that mood. Also, as my collages are built up from layers of visual samples with words over the top of them, I see an oblique hip-hop influence in it too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment