Monday 17 January 2022

Bára Hladík : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

My first encounters with poems was writing song lyrics in my diary when i was a kid, then writing my own angsty songs and poems. Some early lyrics I remember writing down were Pink Floyd and Heart. I read a lot of novels and wrote stories as a kid, but I didn’t really find poetry until i was in my first year of college and found a stack of literary magazines at the writing centre. It really shook me to my core, I was changed forever. Until then I thought poetry was all roses and violets, and I realized suddenly it was a really powerful way of telling stories and reshaping the world. I swiftly joined a literary magazine as an editor and changed my major to literature. Poetry became a protective power i had with me through the hardest times in my life, that was with me everywhere i went, create meaning out of my existence as a sick person and reclaim language that was being used against me. It helped me connect with voice, not only mine, but the voice that resonates from all of us. The voice of our spirits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment