Monday 10 January 2022

Aysegul Yildirim : part one

Aysegul Yildirim’s poetry has appeared in The Maynard, Beir Bua, Strukturriss, The Babel Tower Notice Board, and Lothlorien, among others. She had her work shortlisted for Streetcake Innovative Writing Prize 2021. Her debut pamphlet will be published with Broken Sleep Books in late 2022. 

Photo credit: Karolina Heller

How important is music to your poetry? 

Although I haven’t had any formal education in music, I used to play the violin in orchestras and ensembles. This has had a significant influence specifically on how I go about in the first draft. I think how you start heavily depends on the senses and the unique ways we trained them, consciously or otherwise, have huge consequences for the work we produce. There have been instances where the piece started solely as a resonance responding to a certain image in my mind. And the form of the poem would then depend on how I organise these resonances. Then the existing language tools, to the extent they are available to me, will capture and transcribe this sound-image assemblage onto the page. The examples of these resonance experiments have been published on The Babel Tower Notice Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment