Friday 15 October 2021

Tim Moder : part three

What poets changed the way you thought about writing?

I think I started writing poetry because I was in love with Shelley, Keats, and William Blake.  Later It became Ferlinghetti and Rexroth. More recently Mallarme, Neruda and Balmont. I’ve never written criticism, or studied poems critically, but I’m probably more attracted to poetry that doesn’t appear to follow rules. I’m sure they are following the rules. They make it sound so fluid and flawless. I recently heard a reading by a poet named Richard Berengarten, he was reading his long poem Goodbye Balkan Bell/Do vidjenja Danitse. I bought the book and it’s a great poem. He had two people shouting out place names as they related to the reading he was giving. A performance, but electric rather than expected. There are so many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment