Wednesday 13 October 2021

Arden Hunter : part three

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

Oh definitely! I used to follow way too many ‘rules’ that it turned out I was imposing on myself – they weren’t coming from anywhere else. I would get stuck in alliterative traps (and sometimes still do, though usually by choice), worry too much about meter and rhythm and rhyme… I have had some really amazing feedback from editors, often just from the kindness of their hearts, that has encouraged me to stop holding myself to these arbitrary standards and just write what I want to write. The other thing that has changed is how much poetry I am now getting to read since getting involved with the online poetry community. Every day there are these amazing outpourings of words and it is so inspiring to me to see how everyone approaches this art form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment