Wednesday 20 June 2018

Kristin Garth : part six

Why is poetry important?

Poetry is my whole life.  I didn’t do it for a long time.  Gave it up for many, many years.  I was living life and reading like crazy.  I feel that my experiences and what I read and observed, it gets experienced again in a contemplative, analytical way in poetry.  Poems are important because I think they help us both relive experience in its most meaningful way, devoid of the extraneous.  I love revisiting life in this way, even the dark aspects of life and learning from them, reminding myself of how far I have come and what victories I have made.  Poetry is a celebration even when it’s sad, I believe.  It marks a journey even when it’s dark and bleak.  Sometimes my saddest poems both break my heart and make me feel a sense of happiness that other people might not reading them because I am past them.  I survived it.  When you write something that is bleak and painful, and it makes you feel it in your bones, remember, but you’re past it – it’s a wonderful thing.  It’s a reminder of the complexity of life and the journey.  That’s why I think poetry is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment