Sunday 3 June 2018

Elisabeth Horan : part five

What poets changed the way you thought about writing?

Dickinson grounds me. When I read her I realize anything is possible. She is so quiet, but loud, pastoral and lusting. My favorite feminist shut-in beauty. I wish I had known her.

Plath. Well, she is Plath. That kind of intensity, but written in such precision, awes me…

Frost. Meter, rhyme, cadence, sublime tension and subtlety. Master of words. Stopping by Woods. Knowing how to write formal poetry in a modern voice is serious business. I am in training.

Adrienne Rich, Rita Dove, James Diaz, Kaveh Akbar, Gwendolyn Brooks, Anne Sexton, Yusef Komunyaka, Amiri Baraka, Langston Hughes, Li-Young Lee, Robert Hayden, e.e. Cummings, Ada Limon, Lorca, Borges, so many others… I know I am forgetting. There are so many exciting things happening in the poetry community right now, everytime I read a new lit journal I learn and I am inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment