Wednesday 6 June 2018

Kristin Garth : part four

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry?

If I don’t have an idea, it’s getting started.  Coming up with that idea out of what sometimes can feel like a void – or a distraction of the mundane that conspires against the kind of silence it takes, at least me, to be able to write.  I have to be alone.  Not physically alone in a room.  I actually like to write in coffee shops, but I need headphones.  I need music without words because I can’t have other people’s words in my head while I’m writing.  I’m really focused – or maybe I am just easily distracted.  But that’s my method.  I like to be in physical proximity to people but buried in music and my ideas.

If I have the idea, the hardest part is coming up with a good first line.  If I have a good first line and an idea, I am gold.  I have a map to where I’m going.  I know I’m going to get there.  I just have to wait it out and listen to the voice because it’s happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment