Thursday 4 April 2019

Siân Griffiths : part five

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

When I first began writing poetry, I write for my university workshops, but as time went on, many of my workshop friends stopped writing or moved cities. It felt really isolating at first, but I realized that I needed to be more reliant on myself, which ended up being a good thing. I remember workshopping poems that my friends weren’t really into, and it made me doubt the work unfairly—but some of those poems found really great homes. I’m a multi-genre writer, and oddly, I will always try to find a fellow novelist to trade manuscripts when I’m ready for feedback on one of those, but with poetry, it’s usually just me and the poem. For instance, I have a poem coming out in Epoch and the only people who have read it are the journal editors who accepted it for publication. I’m really excited for it to get out into the world. I have no idea what anyone will think, which is wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment