Friday 5 April 2019

Juliet Cook : part two

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

Yes, because my tastes have changed over time and with experience and my personal poetic style has changed over time and with experience. In my teenage years and early twenties, I tended towards writing over the top story poems based on characters who weren't really me (and who seemed more interesting than me) and fairy tale like horror poems and melodrama that wasn't based on my own real life experience, so much as me wanting to express my strong dramatic feelings in a strong dramatic way. As I became a more experienced writer, with more of my own life experience in addition to developing my own genuine feeling artistic style, I became increasingly able to express myself on a more uniquely personal poetic level. Also, my poetry reading style and tastes have changed over time, although I've always liked a variety of different styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment