Thursday 4 August 2022

Nolcha Fox : part five

How does a poem begin?

I read poetry all the time. All the time. If I find a phrase that really strikes me, I write it in a notebook of prompts. When I’m running low on ideas, I check my notebook for inspiration.

I bookmark websites with poetry prompts (the April NaPoWriMo sites are the best!). If the prompts in my notebook don’t excite me, I’ll go to the poetry prompt websites.

One of the international group of writers I belong to has a generative writing session every other week, where we write to three prompts. Most of my poems that come out of those sessions have been published.

If all else fails, I use the Dave Birss creativity exercises. I’ve found them to be very helpful. I especially recommend:

This ‘N’ That

Story Dice

Writing Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment