Tuesday 2 August 2022

Joanna Fuhrman : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

In elementary school, I remember being obsessed with Emily Dickinson’s “I’m Nobody, who are you?” And then in fifth grade, we had to memorize Blake’s “The Tyger,” which I loved. In both cases, poetry was something that I would say to myself as I walked around the playground. I also remember being in middle school and writing a poem in front of a pizza shop that would later burn down and feeling like I was struck by lightning. It was a terrible poem, but it got me to go to the library and look for poetry books to read. At the school library and at the library near my parents’ office, I found Rich’s book Leaflets and Orr’s Gathering the Bones together, both of which spoke to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment