Saturday 23 April 2022

Conor Mc Donnell : part four

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

I find I am reconnecting with my native Irish language as I have now been in Canada 17 years but am no less Irish than I was in 2004, if anything I am more Irish and that is really starting to emerge in my writing. I am reading Ciaran Carson’s Collected Works having devoured his Belfast Confetti. I am re-reading Paul Muldoon’s Selected Works because I didn’t do it right the first-time round. I feel a constant urge to re-read Roxanna Bennett that is somewhat fuelled by an ongoing correspondence with her that has made 2021 brighter and more fun that it had any right to be. I just finished Homie by Danez Smith (HIGHly recommend), and Sorry for Your Troubles by Padraig O Tuama whose Poetry Unbound podcast is the highlight of my 6am daily drive to the hospital. While reading latest novels by Brandon Taylor, Catherine Lacey, Yaa Gyasi and Pola Oloixarac, I have also re-read comic / graphic novel runs of both Locke & Key, and American Vampire. I am currently making poetry eyes at Ilya Kaminsky, Hanif Abdulraqqib, and finally, hopping from toe to toe waiting for a copy of Antonio Lopez’s Gentefication to arrive. Not forgetting, scientific and poetry journals too …

No comments:

Post a Comment