Tuesday 26 April 2022

Andrew Hemmert : part two

What are you working on?

Right now I’m writing my forth collection of poems, which at present is a book of sonnets. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t directly a result of reading Diane Seuss’s Frank: Sonnets and being absolutely blown away by it. I say “at present,” because any book I write is subject to massive changes down the road. For example, my third collection is a Frankenstein’s monster of a book, the amalgam of two separate manuscripts I wrote a year apart. It took a year of magazine rejections to break down my stubborn allegiance to the original form. I am thrilled with the new manuscript, so I can’t overstate how glad I am I could get over myself.

Aside from poetry, I’m slowly and clumsily attempting to write my first novel. It’s a story I’ve been turning over in my head for about five years now. In 2020 I was able to write 30,000 words, then came to a standstill. In the last year, all my novel writing has occurred in my head. Characters morphed into new people. Narrative threads were added and eliminated. I’m not convinced I’ll ever finish it, but I’d sure like to. It’s a real challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment