Friday 27 August 2021

Nathan Alexander Moore : part three

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

I’ve been mostly working on my research for my dissertation, so I sadly haven’t had enough time to read a lot of poetry this year. But my two favorite poetry collections that I read in the past year have been Nikky Finney’s Love Child's Hotbed of Occasional Poetry and Teeth Never Sleep by Ángel García. Both of these books are so open and honest and raw in their explorations of each poet’s life and how they have processed their experiences. Both also have such a grace to them, how they turn grief and uglier emotions into so much beauty. They really know how to incisively balance anguish and affection in their writing, to speak to both the hurt and all the wonder that happens simultaneously and that exceeds the pain.  I truly can’t imagine surviving 2020 without either of these works. They are both such possibility models for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment