Tuesday 24 August 2021

Damien B. Donnelly : part four

How important is music to your poetry?

For me, the musicality of poetry is essential. Since I started Eat the Storms, the Poetry Podcast, back in July 2020 and have been sharing my own poems along with my guests and have also been reading much more at spoken word events, my poems have become more like songs to perform. And with that, I have come to understand they have certain breaks, refrains, choruses that come back again. Each has its own rhythm, not only in their sound, but also in their structure, in their visual form on the page. The sound of how the words are spoken for me is vital to get across the emotion, to demonstrate the force, to be as the clear as the break of the last line. I was a very shy child and took a long time to find my voice. My poetry has equally taken many, many years to come out and find its confidence but slowly it is finding its place on the stage and its lyricism under the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment