Saturday 31 July 2021

Rebecca Irene : part two

What do you find most difficult about writing poetry? 

Aside from carving out chunks of uninterrupted time to write, beginning & ending a poem are usually the most difficult phases for me. There are those rare moments when an opening phrase or line suddenly materializes (typically when walking with my dog, in the Maine woods), so I try to always have a beloved Viacro pencil & notebook on me, but more often than not, I have to write a lot of horrible lines in order to arrive at a decent start. Then, the middle gush. The poem takes twists & turns, & usually surprises or horrifies me, but I journal everything down initially. This time is joyful, magical, & mostly destined for the silent chambers of my house’s many trashcans. As I begin to transcribe a working draft to my computer, the poem takes form, & wrestles towards that final blessed line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment